The EAST programme
Through the EAST programme, ForumCiv seeks to empower citizens and promote democratic values, human rights, and fundamental freedoms through strengthening the capacity of the creative sector actors and media to innovatively advocate for democracy, good governance, human rights, gender equality, and climate justice in Kenya.
Why the EAST programme?
- Weak coalesced voice and collective action
- Deteriorating democratic conditions
- Human rights violations and abuse
- Youth apathy towards civic engagements
- Impact of disinformation and misinformation
- Vulnerability to climate change
The programme aims at achieving the project goal through the following result areas;
Inclusive governance and democracy;
- Strengthening community voices in decision-making and development processes.
- Increasing the capacity of the communities to demand and claim human rights.
- Enhanced accountability by duty bearers toward responsible service delivery.
Community empowerment, resilience, and adaptation;
- Enhance the adaptive capacities of communities to cope with the effects of climate change and other shocks from unprecedented disasters.
- Enhance the capacity of the community to adapt to socioeconomic shocks.
- Enhanced resilience against gender-based violence.
- Increased political inclusion and participation of women in political processes.
- Enhanced equitable and non-discriminative enjoyment of Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR).
Networking, linkages, and movement building;
- Strengthening effective citizen partnerships, networks, coalitions, and sustained movements.
- Coalescing voices and collective action towards strategic solidarity.
- Enhanced strategic results communications, documentation, and dissemination of programme impacts and emerging insights.
- Strengthened leadership, foresight, and organizational sustainability.
Project name: Enhancing Artivism for Social Transformation (EAST)
Programme goal: To promote democratic values and human rights through strengthening the capacity of the creative sector actors and media to innovatively advocate for democracy, good governance, human rights, gender equality, and climate justice in Kenya.
Project budget: $200,000
Project period: 18 months
Funded by: Ford Foundation